Summer tips: Learn about living in harmony with the Fire element.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Detox now!
- Summer health tip – Grapefruit recipes
- Did You Knows
As we wind down with Spring and start to head into the “heating” trend of summer, this is still a good time to detox! Not all detox programs are created equal or best for your body. Choose the more optimal way with the guidance of our Naturopathic Physician Dr. Katherine Chung and the “anti-oxidant supportive detox program”. How will you benefit from this particular detox?
a) Potential weight loss
- Decrease in heaviness of body – bloating, gas
- Decreased sensitivity to toxins/pollutants in the environment
- Improved metabolism (better digestion, balanced hormones)
b) How should you feel at the end?
- Clarity of mind (No more mind fog!)
- Improved energy
- Increase in focus and productivity
- Improved ability to handle stressors (from the environment and life stressors)
- Physically lighter – less bloated, less gas, less water retention
What is involved?
Day 1: 60 minute initial consult to determine if detox is safe for you. Included in consult is an IV vitamin injection and provided with Detox powder, supplement, and meal plan.
Day 2 – 4: Liver preparation to support your transition into the detox (as discussed in initial visit).
Day 5 – 14 & beyond: Broken into 3 phases, will start detox powder, supplement, and meal plan as laid out in hand out.
The Detox program guideline has sample meal plans/recipes, foods to eat and avoid, and when to take your supplements – just put it on your fridge and follow each day! You get the freedom of prepping all the meals to your liking or you can simply follow the meal plan as is and not put too much thought in the dietary changes
The Detox package also includes 1 email consult for any questions or clarification regarding the detox program.
Call to make an appointment or book online as a 60 minute consult with Dr. Chung. We have limited supplies so book now!
It’s time now for Dr. Samantha Jennings’ inspiration on health tips for the Summer season!
The season of summer is the full-flowering of our essence. In Fire, we come into relationship, whether creating intimacy with another or finding emotional harmony within the Self. Enthusiastic and spontaneous, Fire takes us on a journey leading to greater self-awareness, and the ability to open and extend our hearts into the world with desire, trust and compassion. It is the element which reaches out and embraces life. Love is the highest vibration!
Two Summer Recipes: These are light & easy recipes ideal for summer. Grapefruit is considered bitter, the flavour most beneficial for Fire Element. A powerful flavour, it enters the Heart, Small Intestine, Pericardium, and San Jiao (Triple Warmer) – all the channels of Fire. Bitter aids our digestion, drains excess damp conditions, & improves circulation.
This is lovely served on steamed broccoli florets.
1/3 cup fresh pink grapefruit juice (from ½ a grapefruit)
1 teaspoon mild honey or agave syrup
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or sunflower oil
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch broccoli, broken into florets, stems peeled and chopped
~ Measure 1/3 cup of juice and place it in a small saucepan. Add the honey or agave & bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to 1/4 cup and remove from the heat. Whisk in salt, vinegar, & the oils.
Cut away the peel & pith from the remaining grapefruit half. Cut the sections away from the membranes that divide them and chop fine. Stir into the vinaigrette.
Steam the broccoli, then transfer to a platter or to plates. Spoon the vinaigrette over the florets and serve.
Grapefruit Avocado Salad
2 ruby grapefruits
sprig fresh mint
pinch of sea salt and/or pepper
Optional: a light olive oil on top
Thinly slice the avocado and place in a fan shape around the serving plate.
Cut the ends & rind off the grapefruit & slice along each membrane to remove each grapefruit section. Place the sections in a in a circular fan shape on top of the avocado slices.
Sprinkle some fresh chopped mint on top, and a pinch of sea salt and pepper if you wish.
Enjoy these and the fire of summer.
~ Dr. Samantha Jennings, Dr.TCM, R.Ac.
Did you know…
- Interested in trying out facial rejuvenation acupuncture for free? We are looking for volunteers to donate their face for Sunday, June 10, 2018 when we are hosting a Facial Rejuvenation Acupuncture seminar. Space is limited so if you are interested, please call the clinic or email us back for a spot! And thank you in advance for helping educate our fellow colleagues.
- We have re-stocked on our favourite cold and flu remedy! This combines immune boosters with anti-virals and is a formulation that has been used since 500 A.D.. Ask about these ‘Dragon Herbs’ next time you are in.
- We are open Saturdays! Dr. Katherine P.S. Chung can see you for your Acupuncture and Naturopathic medicine needs.
We wish you a warm and joyful summer!
Yours in good health and happiness,
Dr. Sonia F. Tan, DAOM and the Red Tree Wellness team