Facial Acupuncture Rejuvenation (aka Cosmetic Acupuncture) is a constitutional approach to treating the tone and skin health of the face. Not only are local points and manual techniques used, but also points are used to treat your whole body in order to achieve balance and renewal of your health.
Fine needles are placed at a variety of acupuncture points on the face, neck and around the eyes to stimulate the body’s natural energies (Qi). Since muscle groups are addressed as well as the acupuncture points, the face lifts itself, via the acupuncture points, is through the muscles’ toning and tightening action. The needles also stimulate blood and circulation, which improves facial color and brings more radiance to the skin.
Facial Acupuncture Rejuvenation is non-invasive, non-toxic, less costly than surgical procedures, and draws upon ancient Chinese wisdom for longevity, beauty and balance.
– excerpts by permission from Mary Elizabeth Wakefield, the Chi-Akra Center, and Virginia Doran.
Is Facial Acupuncture for Everyone?
For the vast majority of prospective clients, it is a safe and beneficial treatment, not only for prevention of wrinkles, but also the reversal of the customary signs of aging. However, there are a few contraindications for facial acupuncture.
- Severe high blood pressure (it is OK when the blood pressure is under control and the patient is seeing a medical doctor)
- Severe migraines (if the patient is having a migraine only once every 3 months or so, they can receive facial acupuncture treatments)
- Micordermabrasion: Be aware that it takes a patient 3 weeks to recover from laser resurfacing on the face. Wait a week after microdermabrasion.
- Diabetes, current cancer, AIDS, hemophilia, a pituitary tumor, seizures, epilepsy, tinnitus, dizziness and during pregnancy, an acute bout of cold, flu, allergies, and herpes outbreaks.
- If you are on medication for high blood pressure, epilepsy/seizures, dizziness, tinnitus, or diabetes, you still have the energetic tendencies of that condition and it is inadvisable to have this type of acupuncture though regular acupuncture would be recommended for you.
If you have had in the past or are having currently botox injections, fillers, lasers, chemical peels, facial surgery, or any other allopathic cosmetic procedures- please tell us immediately when you had it, what exactly you had, and where you had it so we can determine the suitability of needling in that area. This is to protect you from any undesirable effects from that substance or procedure.
How Long is the Treatment?
Facial Acupuncture involves the patient in an organic process, in which a series of treatments is necessary to achieve maximal effect. After an initial session, practitioner evaluates the patient’s response, and then can determine the number of follow-up visits that will be required.
During this evaluation, the practitioner takes into consideration other variables such as stress, diet, lifestyle, genetic inheritance, proper digestion and elimination, sleep, emotional balance, and age. The average course of treatment is usually 10-15 treatments.
It should be noted that age is not as crucial as might be estimated. An older patient with a healthy lifestyle may in fact have a better prognosis than a younger person who is prone to dissipate themselves.