Summer 2019 newsletter
Summer tips: Living in harmony with the Fire element.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Summer health tip with Dr. Dang
- Introducing our newest pratitioners!
- Did You Knows
We are in the heat of the summer now, which means we also start to feel the accumulation of heat in both planet Earth and our bodies. June 21 was the midpoint of the warming trend, and the “extra heat” trend began July 7 in the Chinese solar calendar. Now is the time to find balance with the heat, cool appropriately, and ensure the heat does not accumulate too much to swing our bodies out of balance. My favourite food to keep balanced in the summer – Watermelon! It is one of the best and easiest quick food therapies to cool our bodies in Chinese medicine!
It’s time now for Dr. Kathleen Dang’s Summer health tips!
NATUROPATHIC TIPS for LUNG PROTECTION this summer!
Wild-fires are predicted this summer in BC, again, which translates to smoky, hazy, poor-quality air that impacts our health.
This can lead to coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, as well as red and irritated eyes. Also, those with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions are susceptible to worsening conditions.
What can be done to minimize these harmful effects? Read below for my ND tips!
What is in wild-fire smoke that is harmful?1
Fine and ultra-fine particulate matter that can penetrate deeply into the lungs and can go into the blood-stream.
Who is at-risk?1
- young children – lungs are still developing and can be sensitive
- pregnant women – ultra-fine particulate matter can cross in the blood stream and directly to the baby
- older adults and those with respiratory or cardiovascular disease
- Nightly ritual to clean out your nasal passages through nasal irrigation or Neti-pot with saline water. This will clear out debris and allergens, soothe the mucus lining and lead to deeper breathing and good quality sleep.
- Invest in an indoor HEPA air filter. Particularly in the bedroom during sleep time. Be sure to change out filters often and regularly during these summer months.
- Support the body’s most powerful antioxidant, to stave off free-radicals that can cause cancer ~ GLUTATHIONE ~
- Watermelon! Nature’s summer fruit is rich in glutathione, particularly in the red pulpy area near the rind. Studies have found that it protects the liver, particularly if taken pre-cocktail hour!2
- NAC supplement: A building block to making glutathione in the body. My #1 recommendation for protecting the lungs! It is a sulfur-containing amino acid.
- Sulfur-rich veggies: Onions and garlic! Also, my favourite cruciferous veggies: Kale, Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, mustard greens. Pick some up
- Brazil nuts: 3 a day for Selenium – a mineral that is a co-factor in making glutathione in the body.
- Consider a N95 or N100 mask for outdoors for those highly susceptible to lung damage – can be purchased at a pharmacy (such as London Drugs)
For more individualized support, make a Naturopathic & Acupuncture appointment with Dr. Kathy Dang easily online today!
– Dr. Kathy Dang, ND, RAc
We are pleased to welcome to Red Tree Wellness two new Chinese medicine practitioners:
Dr. Kathy Au-Yeung, BSc, Dr.TCM, RAc comes with experience in Science and Research, has interned in China, and is an avid sports enthusiast, particularly in cycling. Did you know that Dr. Au-Yeung has cycled across Canada?! Read more here.
Suzanne Williams, BA, MBA, RAc comes with a plethora of international experience, has lived in China and Taiwan, and is an avid Dragon Boat paddler. Did you know Suzanne speaks fluent Mandarin and conversational French?! Read more here.
Did you know…
- We have new amazing Essential Oil blends, brought to you in partnership with Simon Fraser University PhD Chemistry professor, Reiki Master and master mixologist, Uwe Kresis. Would you like some help getting rid of your headache, easing your muscle soreness, improving your sleep, reducing swelling or boosting your immune system? Ask us about them next time you are in!
- We have new herbal teas at our clinic for immunity and digestion! These are perfect for those that like to drink tea throughout the day, and would also like to have assistance to treat some digestive irregularities (gas, bloating, stuck, loose stools, etc) or boost their immune system! Ask about it next time you are in!
- We have restocked on our favourite cold and flu remedy! Need to bring the big guns out? This highly concentrated herbal extract combines immune boosters with anti-virals and is a formulation that has been used
since 500 A.D.. Ask about these ‘Dragon Herbs’ next time you are in.
- We are open Saturdays! Dr. Au-Yeung and Dr. Dang are available for your Acupuncture and Naturopathic medicine needs.
We wish you a fabulous summer season!
Yours in good health and happiness,
Dr. Sonia F. Tan, DAOM and the Red Tree Wellness team