Spring 2020 and SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 tips.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 update and Immunity support tips.
- Spring health tip with Dr. Dang.
- Did You Knows.
We are in the heart of Spring now in the Calendar, which means life starts to bloom. Unfortunately this also means life blooms for virus and pathogens such as the flu, or the novel coronavirus 2019 (2019-nCoV). On February 12, 2020, this new viruses that was discovered, was renamed severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The disease this virus causes has been named officially coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). We at the clinic are keeping up to date with our medical authorities and resources on the management of this. We have taken extra sanitation and hygiene precautions in the clinic, so rest assured, when you come in, after every patient, the areas have been sanitized to eliminate all viruses and bacteria and also any blood-borne diseases. We continue to have a relaxed cancelation policy due to illness. Please take care of yourself and your family first.
What you can do at home to support your immunity from Dr. Sonia Tan, DAOM and Dr. Kathleen Dang, ND:
- Some Chinese medicine daily tips:
- Eat more ginger and garlic daily, minimum 3 grams per day. Fresh ginger is easiest steeped in hot water, 5-6 slices, and consumed throughout the day.
- If you have any white Tiger Balm at home, when you sleep at night, you can apply it to the base of your foot, near the ball of your foot and put socks on that cover your ankles. Also, apply this to your pulse points and the neck lymph nodes by the corner of your jaw near your ear lobes. If you have our Immunity Booster essential oil roll-on blend, you can use this in these areas too.
- Astragalus 6-10g/day and coupled with dates (6-10g/day) and or goji berries (6-10g/day) berries are one of Dr. Tan’s favourite simple immunity pairs for prevention.
- Some additional Naturopathic and Chinese medicine tips:
- Cut down on alcohol, sugar and refined foods.
- Rest and get enough sleep.
- Hydrate sufficiently.
- Practice stress reduction techniques and keep up with exercise.
- WASH YOUR HANDS.
While there is a lot more you can do, please remember whatever you choose to do be consistent!
As always, we can also optimize your immunity at any visit with Acupuncture and herbal or diet recommendations.
Not sure whether to come in? At this time, please avoid coming in, practice social distancing and self-isolation if:
- You have a fever or feel feverish or difficulty breathing.
- You have a cough.
- You have other respiratory symptoms you are unsure about.
- You have been exposed to anyone with flu-like symptoms (body aches, fever, chills are primary) such as children.
- And wash your hands!
What we can do to support you:
- Phone and / or video consults are available for your continued health plan or new issues – for current or returning patients. You can book this in via our online booking calendar as well.
- New patients unfortunately we are unable to advise over any phone or video health plan as we need to have a medical assessment on file which requires a physical check.
- We have immunity Chinese herbs and essential oils in stock for current / returning patients. Essential oils are also available for walk-ins/new patients. We are not able to dispense Chinese herbs to any new patient we have not had a medical assessment with first.
- We have silicone cups you may use at home to release tension and pathogens in the muscle channels due to body aches, fever, general stress, etc.
- We have Argan oil to effectively nourish your dry skin back from all that washing!
Take good and consistent care!
It’s time now for Dr. Kathleen Dang’s Spring tips!
WHICH MEDICATION IS DEPLETING YOU OF IMPORTANT VITAMINS AND MINERALS?
The following are some of the most commonly prescribed medications I see people on. Some have been on these medications short-term, and for many others…. years…
Over time, I hear people say they “do not feel themselves” and are unsure what to do. As a Naturopathic Physician and traditionally-trained Acupuncturist, I treat the underlying condition as best as possible and help people become independent of these medications or less dependent on them. However, it is crucial to meet people where they are and to inform them that certain medications need specific supplementation to mitigate long-term side effects. Here is a list of commonly prescribed medications:
BLOOD PRESSURE MEDICATIONS:
- Lasix, Furocot [Furosemide] depletes, magnesium Vitamin B1, B6, C, Sodium and Zinc.
- Hydro-chlorothiazide depletes Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, Magnesium, Chloride and Folate.
- Lisinopril [Prinivil, Zestril] depletes Zinc.
- Losartan [Cozaar] depletes Zinc, Calcium, Chloride, Magnesium and Sodium.
- Acetaminophen [Tylenol] depletes glutathione. NAC is used to supplement.
- Gabapentin for neuropathy depletes folic acid.
CONTRACEPTIVES (IUD and ORAL BIRTH CONTROL)
- Deplete folic acid, vitamins B2, B6, B12, vitamin C, E, magnesium, selenium and zinc.
- Insulin glargine [Lantus] deletes Magnesium
- Metformin [Glucophage] depletes Folate and Vitamin B12
ACID REFLUX MEDICATION:
- Omeprazole [Prilosec, Zegerid] depletes Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron
- Rosuvastatin [Crestor] depletes CoQ10.
- Simvastatin [Zocor] depletes CoQ10, B-Carotene, Vitamin E, Glutathione
If you are currently taking any of these medications, consider making a Naturopathic medicine consultation with Dr. Kathleen Dang, ND to help you asses this. Together, we can review the benefits, the risks and how to supplement properly.
- Dr. Kathleen Dang, ND, RAc.
Did you know…
- We continue to stock amazing Essential Oil blends such as Pain Away, Muscular Ease, Headache No More and Immunity Booster, brought to you in partnership with Simon Fraser University PhD Chemistry professor, Reiki Master and master mixologist, Uwe Kresis. Ask us about them next time you are in!
- We have new silicone cups at our clinic! These are perfect for at-home release of muscle aches and tension due to injuries, pathogens or stress relief as examples! Ask about them next time you are in!
- We have restocked on our favourite cold and flu remedy! Need to bring the big guns out? This highly concentrated herbal extract combines immune boosters with anti-virals and is a formulation that has been used since 500 A.D.. Ask about these ‘Dragon Herbs’ next time you are in.
- We have received the Consumer Choice Award for Best Acupuncture in Vancouver for the second year in a row! Thank you everyone! We are thrilled to continue to support you and your Chinese and Naturopathic medicine needs.
We wish you a healthy spring season.
Yours in good health and happiness,
Dr. Sonia F. Tan, DAOM and the Red Tree Wellness team