Winter tips: Learn about living in harmony with the Water element.
In this issue:
- We are award winning!
- Scarf and socks on now
- Winter health tip with Dr. Dang – Seaweed
- Winter health tip with Dr. Jennings – Essential Oils
- Did you know…
As we head into mid-winter according to the Chinese calendar (the winter solstice is the midpoint of winter and the darkness), this is a good time to wear a scarf (this practice begins in the fall) and get the socks on! By doing this, you help the Acupuncture channels that are the main immunity fighters (on the neck and on the soles of the feet) and have more warm Qi (the vital life force) to build a strong immunity and fight pathogens. Feeling funny or tight in the throat? Scarf and socks on, get your immunity fighter herbal teas or supplements in right away, and get a good night’s sleep! The first sign is the throat and neck feeling funny, tight, off or sore.
Health tips for Winter
with Dr. Kathy Dang, N.D., R.Ac.:
So why seaweed? Here is some background and perspective on this amazing sea veggie! Thallasotherapy is the therapeutic use of seawater, sea products such as seaweed and sea air or climate for an experiential healing of the whole body and spirit. This has a long tradition in European spas – and has adapted into spa treatments world-wide. IDEALG – Seaweed for the Future – a research power-house from France, has extensively studied seaweed extracts for its anti-aging properties. Their studies show the structural and physical role of specific extracts in seaweed have a notable impact on skin protection against pollution, acne and aging.(1)
In the dermatology world, seaweed has garnered much attention and research due to its rich bioactive compounds and influence on skin health – specifically protecting the skin from UV oxidative damage, skin brightening, and improving atopic dermatitis conditions.(2) Crème de la Mer, an Estee Lauder luxury cream, was first created by a NASA rocket scientist, Max Huber. He created this nutrient-dense crème from Pacific Kelp to heal chemical burns from rocket fuel exposure on his face. No other products helped at this time. After Huber’s death, Estee Lauder took over the manufacturing of the product and now has a cult following, globally. Crème de la Mer retails at Holt Renfrew for $120 for a 1/2 oz!(3)
In Traditional Chinese Medicine, the use of seaweed has been used for centuries, as both food and medicine. Notably, Kun Bu, a brown kelp, and Hai Zao, aka sargassum are both nutrient-dense; filled with iodine, iron, calcium and potassium. Kelp (also referred to as Kombu in Japanese), has the ability to strengthen the digestive systems, notably the Spleen and Stomach, and to decrease phlegm nodules (such as thyroid goiters) and swelling/water retention.(4)
Essential Oil Winter Tips with Dr. Samantha Jennings, Dr.TCM!
- Dr. Samantha Jennings, Dr.TCM, RAc
Did You Know…
- We have new herbal teas at our clinic for immunity and digestion! These are perfect for those that like to drink tea throughout the day, and would also like to have assistance to treat some digestive irregularities (gas, bloating, stuck, loose stools, etc) or boost their immune system! Ask about it next time you are in!
We have restocked on our favourite cold and flu remedy! Need to bring the big guns out? This highly concentrated herbal extract combines immune boosters with anti-virals and is a formulation that has been used since 500 A.D.. Ask about these ‘Dragon Herbs’ next time you are in.
- We have new amazing Essential Oil blends, brought to you in partnership with a Doctor of Chemistry and Reiki Master from SFU. Would you like some help getting rid of your headache, calming your nerves, sleeping at night, reducing edema or boosting your immune system? Ask us about them next time you are in!
- We have some changes to our rates. Please see our website for more details.
- We are open Saturdays! Dr. Chung and Dr. Dang can see you for your Acupuncture and Naturopathic medicine needs.