Spring 2019 newsletter
Spring tips: Living in harmony with the Wood element.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- We are award winning!
- Immunity Happy Hour!
- Winter health tip with Dr. Dang – Seaweed
- Did You Knows
As we head into Spring, we also head into virus and allergen season. In Chinese metaphysics, the start of spring began Feb 4. I know this seems hard to believe after the February we had, and allow me to explain this further. It is the start of the warming trend, not the high-point of spring. Spring symbolizes growth and life. Some of you may have observed at the end of January, and beginning of February, the trees were budding – That is the start of growth, life, and spring. By March 21, the Gregorian “First day of Spring”, in the Chinese calendar, we have reached the midpoint of spring.
This is also the time of year to boost your immune system. Mark down Wednesday March 13 from 4 to 6 pm in your calendar! Back by popular demand is our Immunity Happy Hour. Receive a B12 shot and essential oils on acupoints, to boost up your immune system for only $20! (A value of $30) How does a B12 shot help? B12 Vitamins boosts our immune “assassins” known as CD8+ and NK (Natural Killer) cells. A study shows that patients who received a methylated B-12 injection, had increased levels of these immune “assassins”. These particular immune cells are important for the destruction of infected or cancer cells in the body.(1) Book a spot ahead of time so you do not have to wait in line – call the clinic at 604-873-3827 or email email@example.com.
- Tamura J, Kubota K, Murakami H, et al. Immunomodulation by vitamin B12: augmentation of CD8+ T lymphocytes and natural killer (NK) cell activity in vitamin B12-deficient patients by methyl-B12 treatment. Clin Exp Immunol. 1999;116(1):28-32.
We are grateful to celebrate our win of the 2019 Consumer Choice Award for Best Acupuncture in Vancouver! Check out our photos from the award gala. The Consumer Choice Award has been doing independent research for over 30 years, and sources their data from 5 different statistically supported independent market survey, online listening, and research organizations. Their sole purpose is to recognize business excellence in small and medium sized businesses. The award is chosen by the consumer – you, thank you! We are honoured and thrilled to receive the award for 2019! Celebrate with us all of 2019!
It’s time now for Dr. Kathleen Dang’s inspiration on health for the Spring season!
Hormones in our body play like musical instruments in an orchestra — there are the String instruments, the Wood-Wind instruments, the Brass instruments, and the Percussion. Each having a unique sound and contribute to the whole of the orchestra. The conductor (like the brain) has the primary responsibility to critically listen and shape the sound of the hormones for the rest of the audience (the body) to enjoy.
Hormones are sophisticated and precise, they connect our brain(1) to specific organs(2) and then to the rest of the body. There are check points that balance just the right amount of hormones at given times, signaled by the need of the body.
In the span of our lifetime, our body goes through normal hormonal events, such as puberty, pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, menopause and andropause. These hormonal events can be a great challenge to the body particularly in factors of chronic or high stress, poor nutritional status, and altered genetics.
Also, environmental hormone disruptors significantly challenge the the body and can throw hormones out-of-tune.
Those who experience hormone issues can have the following, but are not limited to:
- Constant fatigue
- Frequent sleep issues – difficulty falling and/or staying asleep
- Brain fog
- Mood changes – depression, anxiety
- Difficulty in losing weight
- Cystic acne
- Change in libido
- Hair loss
- Bone loss
- PMS symptoms
- Irregular cycles
Hormonal issues can be difficult to treat because conventional testing is complex – Tests vary from measuring hormones in saliva, blood and urine, often times at certain times of the day or month, and collection over a whole day.
Red Tree Wellness is happy to announce the availability of DUTCH testing – which stands for Dry Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones. This is the most simple and comprehensive testing for hormones widely used in the functional medicine world. From evaluating 4 dried-urine samples throughout the day, this test measures an incredible amount of hormones:
- Estrogens (E1, E2, E3 and it’s metabolites)
- Progesterone (and it’s metabolites)
- Androgens (DHEAs, DHT, testosterone and it’s metabolites)
- Cortisol - at 4 different times a day to measure the cortisol curve
- Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Glutathione aka Nutritional Organic Acid Test
- Dopamine, Norepinephrine, Melatonin (Neurotransmitters)
- Oxidative stress/ DNA damage levels (8-OHdG)
Treatment options can vary from synthetic hormones (not a fan of) to bio-identical hormones, as well as herbs, and vitamin co-factors for hormone production. Assisted therapies include medical nutrition, acupuncture, mindfulness/meditation, movement and sleep hygiene.
These treatments usually are not just stand-alone. It is also important to consider supporting the function of the LIVER and GUT to detox and eliminate unwanted hormones out of the body.
Working with a Naturopathic Physician can help you learn about your own body’s unique hormonal patterns. They can help find the testing and treatment options to improve the quality of your life, during any part of your life cycle.
If you would like to learn more about your hormones and DUTCH testing, make an appointment today with one of our Naturopathic Physicians at www.redtreewellness.ca. We look forward to seeing you!
- Dr. Kathy Dang, ND, RAc.
- (1) hypothalamus & pituitary
- (2) thyroid, adrenals, kidneys, sex organs, uterus, breast, bones/muscles
Did you know…
- We have new amazing Essential Oil blends, brought to you in partnership with Simon Fraser University PhD Chemistry professer, Reiki Master and master mixologist, Uwe Kresis. Would you like some help getting rid of your headache, easing your muscle soreness, improving your sleep, reducing swelling or boosting your immune system? Ask us about them next time you are in!
- We have new herbal teas at our clinic for immunity and digestion! These are perfect for those that like to drink tea throughout the day, and would also like to have assistance to treat some digestive irregularities (gas, bloating, stuck, loose stools, etc) or boost their immune system! Ask about it next time you are in!
- We have restocked on our favourite cold and flu remedy! Need to bring the big guns out? This highly concentrated herbal extract combines immune boosters with anti-virals and is a formulation that has been used since 500 A.D.. Ask about these ‘Dragon Herbs’ next time you are in.
- We are open Saturdays! Dr. Chung and Dr. Dang are available for your Acupuncture and Naturopathic medicine needs.
- We have a new Doctor of TCM that will be joining us in April! Dr. Leung has a BSc in Biochemistry and a Dr. of TCM diploma. After years working in research, she chose to switch brains and careers into the Chinese Medicine world. Look to book in with this calm and intelligent lady soon!
We wish you a fabulous spring season!
Yours in good health and happiness,
Dr. Sonia F. Tan, DAOM, RAc, RTCMP and the Red Tree Wellness team